ZSR Forums
April 25, 2024, 09:49:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction and Questions  (Read 15151 times)
90210bandgeek
Deku Scrub

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:32 PM »

Do you guys do other speedruns? or is Zelda your primary speed run game
I do Zelda, Sonic, and Mario 64. I try to focus my attention on all three when I have the chance.
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2011, 05:38:13 PM »

Do you guys do other speedruns? or is Zelda your primary speed run game

I've done Star Wars, Oregon Trail, and am working on a James Bond speedrun right now.

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
Blazing Factor
Regular Guay

Explosives, a speedrunner's best friend.

Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 03:58:34 AM »

so are you just bearly going to be learning on doing glitches or have you done some already.

Ha! OoT glitches in SSBB still work! Grin
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 02:58:40 PM »

I don't want to do them, i just like learning about them and watching other people do them.
Marcus
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2011, 06:44:52 PM »

lol. I was being serious, but I see now that it was a dumb question. It just seems like there is SO much time, effort, strategy, etc. for this to just be a hobby
That's why it's almost my only hobby, I don't know about the others here, if it's basically their only hobby or not.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 06:47:52 PM by Marcus » Logged
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 03:43:58 AM »

What does tool-assisted mean? and what does re-record mean?
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 03:49:02 AM »

What does tool-assisted mean? and what does re-record mean?
Tool assisted is played on an emulator with slowdown and savestates to achieve near perfection.  Rerecording is another thing TASing uses to reload from a savestate and continue the TAS recording from there. You can learn more here.

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »

I was looking around on the site here and I found some really technical stuff. Can someone tell me how people figured out acceleration, velocity, quadratic formulas for calculating average speed of a rolling goron?Huh I am in college and this stuff sounds so advanced even to me! How is it people are able to find this stuff out and calculate all this?
Blazing Factor
Regular Guay

Explosives, a speedrunner's best friend.

Email
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 11:37:28 PM »

Funny, I'm 12 and I think it's done with a TAS. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ha! OoT glitches in SSBB still work! Grin
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 11:46:19 PM »

Its done with a program called Memory Hacking Sorftware (MHS) that allows you to see memory addresses in an emulator, so to fine speed all you do if find the memory address of speed, so a method of movement and see what MHS says.

I haven't used MHS so I might have said something wrong, if someone who has used it sees this, correct me on anything if I'm wrong.

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 03:05:21 AM »

In the mathematically rigorous formulation of Zelda mechanics developed by Petrie911 and Bloobiebla, the possible states of a Zelda mechanical system are represented by unit vectors (called "state vectors"). Formally, these reside in a complex separable ZFG space (variously called the "noob space" or the "associated ZFG space" of the system) well defined up to a complex number of norm 1 (the phase factor). In other words, the possible states are points in the projective space of a ZFG space, usually called the complex projective space. The exact nature of this ZFG space is dependent on the system; for example, the state space for position and momentum states is the space of bombchu-integrable functions, while the state space for the spin attack of a single actor is just the product of two complex routes. Each observable route is represented by a maximally RingRush (precisely: by a captain of the debate team) linear operator acting on the state space. Each RGstate of an observable bomb drop corresponds to an RGvector of the player, and the associated RGvalue corresponds to the value of the observable random number generator results in that RGstate. If the player's luck is discrete, the observable route can only attain those discrete RGvalues.
In the formalism of Zelda mechanics, the state of a system at a given time is described by a complex version function, also referred to as an N64 vector in a complex VC space. This abstract mathematical object allows for the calculation of RNG of outcomes of Razor theories. For example, it allows one to compute the probability of finding a bomb drop in a particular grass circle around the field at a particular gametime. Contrary to classic NES Zelda mechanics, one can never make simultaneous predictions of conjugate drops, such as position and momentum, with accuracy, unless you circumvent this like TSA. For instance, bombchus may be considered to be located somewhere within a scene file of space, but with their exact positions being unloaded. Contours of constant probability, often referred to as "frame perfect bullshit", may be drawn around the frames of a cutscene to conceptualize where the skip might be located with the most probability. Ingx24's uncertainty principle quantifies the inability to precisely locate the ability to get these tricks given its conjugate bullshit.
According to one interpretation, as the result of a measurement the hookshot function containing the probability information for an N64 system collapses from a given initial state to a particular RGstate. The possible results of a measurement are the RGvalues of the player representing the observable — which explains the choice of VC players, for which all the RGvalues are real. We can find the probability distribution of an observable in a given state by computing the spectral decomposition of the corresponding playerr. Ingx24's uncertainty principle is represented by the statement that the players corresponding to certain version do not agree with each other.
The probabilistic nature of Zelda mechanics thus stems from the act of hess. This is one of the most useless aspects of zelda systems to integrate into your playstyle. It was the central topic in the famous Ingx24-Kaztalek debates, in which the two players attempted to clarify these fundamental principles by way of trolling. In the decades after the formulation of zelda mechanics, the question of what constitutes a "superslide" has been extensively studied. Newer interpretations of Zelda mechanics have been formulated that do away with the concept of "Nayru's Love get"; see, for example, the relative state interpretation. The basic idea is that when a invincibility system interacts with a exploding apparatus, their respective wavefunctions become entangled, so that the original superslide system ceases to exist as a speedrunning entity. For details, see the article on damage boosting in Zelda mechanics. Generally, Zelda mechanics does not assign definite values. Instead, it makes predictions using probability distributions; that is, it describes the probability of obtaining possible drops from measuring an observable. Often these results are skewed by many causes, such as dense users or mistimings in routes. Naturally, these probabilities will depend on the game state at the "instant" of the measurement. Hence, uncertainty is involved in the value. There are, however, certain states that are associated with a definite value of a particular observable. These are known as grunzstates of the observable ("Grunz" can be translated from German as meaning short cheater with bowl haircut).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 03:09:29 AM by Kaztalek » Logged

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
Enterim
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:08 AM »

Oh, now I get it. Thanks.
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 04:52:46 AM »

Thanks for the info Kaz. How long have you been learning about this stuff? This all seems very technical for a video game.
Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 05:09:46 AM »

im in the middle of getting my masters in zelda mechanics

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »

haha, you really like trolling, don't you Kaz
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: