ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 10:31:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Introduction and Questions  (Read 14444 times)
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« on: June 26, 2011, 04:14:00 AM »

Hey everyone, let me start off by apologizing if I posted this in the wrong section but I just have some questions. I have loved playing the LoZ games since I was a kid, but how do people do all these techniques in the videos and how do people even discover these techniques?
Exodus122
Regular Guay

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:24:55 AM »

First of all, welcome to Zeldaspeedruns! The front page has links to the most popular games with explanations of the tricks. The site is currently being revamped so if there is a trick in particular that does not have a description ask it here and we should be able to answer it. As for the discoveries of tricks, most of the techniques/glitches were discovered by accident while playing through the game. Then it's simply trying the technique in various ways to find uses.

mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 12:08:16 AM »

I'd also like to mention that even if the trick isn't listed here, we still may know about it.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:53:42 AM »

Ok. So do people do these things for every single game? or is Zelda just a special game to do speed runs on? And what is an emulater? sorry for all these noob questions but I am just interested in all this stuff. Thank you to anyone who can answer these
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »

this is done for practically every series but more popular games get a lot more attention.
ZSR was inspired by Metroid2002.com which is a site that does the same as ZSR but with the Metroid series.

emulator is a program that runs on a PC and mimicks a certain console. you then load a rom to play on it as if it were the original system (but it isn't 100% the same. it can go from 99.9% emulation to much worse depending on the system emulated and your PC)

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 03:57:49 AM »

ok. So do people do this as a hobby then? How long does it take to master the skills involved in some of the videos I see of Zelda Speed runs?
UchihaSasuke
Special Guay

move over Chidori, time to spam infinite Susano'o

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:34:19 AM »

yeah, this is pretty much a hobby.
it takes a while to get skills like that and people here have spent from months to years to be this good.

"Patience is useful in any moment"

Youtube Account 1
Youtube Account 2
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 02:17:07 AM »

Do people do speed runs for all video game consoles? example (N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS3) just to name a few. Because I only see people do speed runs of N64 games
aleckermit
Mega Guay

back in green

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 07:18:06 AM »

Do people do speed runs for all video game consoles? example (N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS3) just to name a few. Because I only see people do speed runs of N64 games

Yes every console imaginable has a speedrun for it, most really high quality speedruns can be found here:

http://speeddemosarchive.com/gamelist/FullList.html

N64 games are really popular around this forum and speedrunslive because of our age group (15-25 years old). Most of use grew up with N64 so it's what we do speedruns of most. Also, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are by far the most popular Zelda games for speedrunning due to their non-linearity. Both of those Zelda's are on N64.

http://youtube.com/aleckermit

<@Swordless> Have you had this problem before? A game not starting until you cleaned it?
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2011, 03:01:37 AM »

Thanks aleckermit. So speedrunning is just a hobby? Because I have seen some videos were some people commentated on a speedrun that was over 2 hours long and there were multiple people
Kaztalek
Special Guay

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 07:53:41 AM »

there are people who pay, i.e. i was sponsored to commentate on ing's run by nabisco snack corporation
plus some people like kazooie are paid debuggers for games like ocarina of time, he goes to work everyday and gets paid to look for OoT glitches

hope this helps

* ZFG sets mode: +b *!*@m2k2-41FE9128.tampfl.fios.verizon.net
* KlydeStorm was kicked by ZFG (I'll destroy you)
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 03:30:57 PM »

Kaz be trollin'

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:36 PM »

lol. I was being serious, but I see now that it was a dumb question. It just seems like there is SO much time, effort, strategy, etc. for this to just be a hobby
90210bandgeek
Deku Scrub

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 12:36:11 AM »

Actually, when you add in school and stuf like that at my age (16) this is pretty much a hobby. The only time I have is on the weekends. No offense.
Sub-Zero
Deku Scrub

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 09:35:21 PM »

Do you guys do other speedruns? or is Zelda your primary speed run game
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: