ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 10:44:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59
  Print  
Author Topic: OoT / MQ - Question & Answer / Trick Help Thread  (Read 914811 times)
Exodus122
Regular Guay

« Reply #855 on: September 06, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Yeah that's all known, that's used to get Zelda's Lullaby quickly in MST speedruns.

Eszik
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #856 on: September 28, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »

Hello,

I'm currently learning no RBA/WW, and I'm having a lot of trouble with DoT skip. I'm following the tutorial to get the angle, jumpslash at the right frame, but most of the time I clip back on the right side of the wall instead of the left wall. Any idea of what I could be doing wrong?
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3-pl8OWFGg
Jbop
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #857 on: September 28, 2014, 03:21:54 PM »

Did you hold left on the jumpslash frame?

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
Eszik
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #858 on: September 28, 2014, 04:14:39 PM »

I started holding it during the pause, does it matter?
Jbop

« Reply #859 on: September 28, 2014, 10:50:16 PM »

Shouldn't matter, no. But based on the way you worded that I'm guessing you stopped holding left after the sidehop, which you can do. However if you release left too early Link won't sidehop as far as he is supposed to, so try releasing left later or just don't release it at all.

Because its OoT.
Eszik
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #860 on: October 01, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »

Yes, that was my probleme, I get it really consistently now. Thanks!
Depressed Penguin
Deku Scrub

« Reply #861 on: October 05, 2014, 08:47:50 PM »

Is there a way to read the games code?
darkside420
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #862 on: October 06, 2014, 11:32:23 PM »

Hey "new" speedrunner here. I've been playing this game since debut and we (friends and I) used to race (casual style) this game all the time. Best Game EVAR! Anyway, i've kinda been trolling this community from the shadows for awhile now just reading and learning. However, when the WW glitch was found i decided to just kinda jump into the ring and try speedrunning. So, anyway, i've been playing for a long time now and i'm starting to get consistent with a lot of these tricks. No where near zfg or cosmo or anyone, but by amateur standards, i'm decent. There are several things i would like to ask and get some advice on. Bear with me...

1) I'm struggling with child hover over the death mountain crater bridge. I believe if someone would explain it better to me (even a buffered method) i would be able to pull this off. (i don't have much problem with any other hovers really)

2) The 100% hoverslide from the HP in Colossus to the seam. I seem to either be too slow and start falling or hit the seam wrong and fall. Currently i've been jumping down and doing a standard spirit hover with chus.

3) Getting more consistent with things like Weird Shot and Backwalking superslide.
a. With WS I end up losing a ton of time pause buffering frames (which is doable, just really slow). I see people doing it like at 75% consistency unbuffered with almost no problems. Am i just not that good or am i doing outdated stuff? practice advice?

b. Backwalking superslides. like woah. I'm just really bad. Just never seem to ever get either the time or distance right. Any advice with using a time or flash method? Currently I usally just superslide by sidehopping bombs side by side.

c. HESS. Never been able to do one although i dont really have a problem with ess. Probably wont worry much about this until i'm alot more consistent with A and B.

If it helps anything, i mostly play on emu because at the moment i'm not competitive. Im still learning major tricks and routes.

and finally, thank you guys for keeping this game alive...

</speach>
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #863 on: October 07, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »

Is there a way to read the games code?

Mips disassembler is best bet. All the debug rom actors have been disassembled and can be found on http://spinout182.com/mqd/.

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Fenyan
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #864 on: October 09, 2014, 09:00:40 PM »

1) I'm struggling with child hover over the death mountain crater bridge. I believe if someone would explain it better to me (even a buffered method) i would be able to pull this off. (i don't have much problem with any other hovers really)

I'm not too familiar with 100% myself, so I can't help you too much. I know that hover though:
You get an initial hover by throwing a bomb against the plank and backflipping into the explosion. The following hovers are sideflip hovers. You hold up-left (or up-right) so Link shuffles his feet a little like trying to walk forward, and shield drop a chu. When it reaches Links feet (if you buffer this, the first or second frame work, and the distance and height gained from the hover varies between both frames), you backflip by holding down-right (or down-left) and pressing A. If you start in the middle of the bridge, you can just do one to the right and one to the left, followed by a bomb hover. Then backflip and you cleared the gap.

Can't tell you too much about the rest of your questions, as I also buffer weirdshots and only do sidehop 2bomb superslides... Smiley I tried buffering a HESS before though (watching the explosion frames and buffering the Z+R Input), and it kind of helped me to understand the concept.

Now, I have a few questions of my own, all of which revolve around the 1080 wrong warp from Fire temple to Ganon's Tower. I'm using Chain's improved Setup (this one), and recall managing to pull it off with a decent consistency a month or 2 back. Now that I got back to it, I have a lot of trouble getting it to work, with a few different things giving me trouble. I'm playing on Wii VC and practice on Project 64 1.7 with a 1.2 Japanese Rom. My problems are as follows:
  • I always end up back in Darunia's Room after the final input, indicating that I'm somehow early. It happens for both (or all 3) of the frames described in the video. I can't really tell where I would do anything wrong that would cause that.
  • I frequently clip out of the door when trying to walk to the wall to do the two 180 turns. Is there a trick that makes you walk perfectly parallel to the door? It seems to be really picky...
  • I'd like to switch to the tunicless strats that are used in the current AD world record. However I can't find a vid or anything explaining the inputs. Just watching the WR vid (or others that use the setup) sadly doesn't give me enough information about what happens after clipping out of bounds and once Link lands. Does anyone have some guidance for me?
  • I tried investigating my 1-frame-early-problems with the Memory Hacking Software that's also featured in this forum. However I can't find the memory adress of the blue warp timer. I managed to find some things, like adresses of item amounts, using the sub search function and tracking the differentials of said amounts, but the same thing didn't work for the timer. How did people find blue warp timer adresses? And is there a way to.. I dunno, convert those adresses to adresses in my own PJ64 process?
darkside420
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #865 on: October 09, 2014, 11:27:59 PM »

You get an initial hover by throwing a bomb against the plank and backflipping into the explosion. The following hovers are sideflip hovers. You hold up-left (or up-right) so Link shuffles his feet a little like trying to walk forward, and shield drop a chu. When it reaches Links feet (if you buffer this, the first or second frame work, and the distance and height gained from the hover varies between both frames), you backflip by holding down-right (or down-left) and pressing A. If you start in the middle of the bridge, you can just do one to the right and one to the left, followed by a bomb hover. Then backflip and you cleared the gap.

Yep, totally works lol. I appreciate that a ton. Trying to figure that out on my own was not working.

Unfortunately for you, I have not run AD in months and am very much not up to date.
Jbop

« Reply #866 on: October 10, 2014, 03:22:24 AM »

Darkside420:

For weirdshot and HESS check out these videos respectively: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANhuxsIgPYw (does a frame-by-frame analysis at the end) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEw7SDzFVA (I just made this to show off but people have apparently learned how to HESS from it lol)

For unbuffered weirdshot: I suppose you know about bonking beforehand if possible (if you don't you'll see in the video). To practice it, I like to forget about releasing Z, as you will still see Link go under the ground briefly if you do everything else right. Once you have everything else down it's simple to figure out the timing for releasing Z. And remember the sequence of inputs is this (I know you know them but it's useful for doing it unbuffered)

Z+R+A (to roll with shield)
Down (with Z+R)
Release Down+R
Hookshot
Release Z

For HESS: You want to roll about the same time you would for a megaflip, then release Z and start holding ESS just after Link starts his roll. Then when Link is basically *inside* the explosion press Z+R at the same time while continuing to hold ESS. If you slide forward you probably shielded and/or targeted too late.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:29:08 AM by Jbop » Logged

Because its OoT.
darkside420
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #867 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:32 PM »

Thank you sir. One more question though. Is the down input after A frame perfect or do I have a few frames to play with?
Jbop

« Reply #868 on: October 15, 2014, 03:50:04 AM »

Woops sorry I was away for the weekend Roll Eyes You have many frames to start holding down, so don't worry about trying to time it or something (and it's the same window for holding ESS for the HESS)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:51:52 AM by Jbop » Logged

Because its OoT.
darkside420
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #869 on: October 15, 2014, 04:59:19 PM »

Hey thanks! Still not very good but i'm starting to see some improvement and consistency. Practice practice practice eh??  Grin

Edit: Also all the things these people said are very helpful, for me and hopefully for other players. To pay it forward here's whats helping me with the 100% hoverslide from the HP to seam in Colossus. It also is starting to get easier.

• The actual angle is not very strict.
  • You are able to sidehop superslide if, like me, you're still not able to backwalk superslide. Just make sure you're not sidehopping downhill as that will put the explosion out of range.
  • Let go of Z before you pause for hoverboots. This will let you turn around quicker.
  • Once you hit the wall, glide forward up it holding shield for a few frames before you switch to kokiri boots (no idea why this is helping)
  • Hold shield and time pressing B a tad slower than just mashing (When i was practicing, the timed "mash" was more consistent than just mashing)
  • Just because you cant see the chest doesn't mean you can't hookshot it. Try anyway

Feel free to correct me if i'm wrong guys, but this is what's helping me
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:18:23 PM by darkside420 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59
  Print  

Jump to: