ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 02:20:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Documenting save files  (Read 7851 times)
Pythagoras
Deku Scrub

« on: August 04, 2014, 04:04:47 PM »

Has anybody tried to understand the format of the save files? (I'm reffering to the file on the sd card)
I was trying to read those files, but they seem gibberish to me.
If I shouldn't talk about this here just tell me.

Edit: Since nobody replied, I will start to post savefiles: (these are pal savefiles, I'm from Europe)
Savefile 0: Extracted just after downloading the game.
Savefile 1: I opened and then closed the game (this is where the savefile is officialy created).
Savefile 2: Created a new file (file 1) named Link (default name) and saved outside link's house.
Savefile 3: Colected 5 rupees (one blue rupee).
Download the savefiles here
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:22:06 PM by Pythagoras » Logged
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 07:43:24 PM »

Aren't these decrypted?
Pythagoras
Deku Scrub

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:30:48 PM »

Not that I know, I searched and found no explanation on what's what. If you know how they work, reply with a link.
Also, If we knew how they work, we could inmideately know if there's always a portal in the fat lady's house and if the "a link between castles" strategy could work.
If you are european, you can try to use the files by substituting the savefile on your sd card (and changing the name of the file to 00000001.sav (I don't know if thesavefiles are systemlocked or just regionlocked).
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:08:53 PM »

I don't have a 3DS. I'm nowhere near an expert at this, but I think if you got them directly from your 3DS then they are encrypted and then it isn't strange the data doesn't make sense. It seems it is possible to decrypt the savegames: http://gbatemp.net/threads/hacking-with-3ds-save-deencrypter.303517/
Pythagoras
Deku Scrub

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 07:44:44 AM »

I didn't hear of that, but I can't download anything on that thread. The download links simply don't work.
Jbop
Site Editor
Twenty-three is number one! Do you think I'm a traitor?

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 12:06:45 AM »

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/threads/359626-3DS-Save-De-Encrypter-v1-5a

Quote from:  ZFG on March 24, 2008, 8:27:24 AM
Quote from:  Prognosis_4 on March 24, 2008, 8:25:50 AM
Why are you guys so certain it's possible?
Because its OoT.
Pythagoras
Deku Scrub

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:57:04 AM »

It doesn't work for me. The program just makes an identical copy of the file, and creates an empty .key file. Also, when I try to open the "experimental" menu, an error appears.
If the program works correctly for any of you, you could decrypt the files for me.
Myria
Regular Guay

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 06:09:39 PM »

SD card save files are encrypted and signed with a key that is unique to each individual 3DS and is stored inside the 3DS in a way that cannot be extracted without a firmware mod like the Gateway.  And even then, I don't think there are any publicly-released tools to get that key, if anyone even knows at all.
Myria
Regular Guay

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 05:09:19 PM »

I think someone out there has figured it out:

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADRUqGQXYuS-w

Or is there already a save editor for this game?
Weegeechan
Regular Guay

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:14:49 AM »

He definitely just used this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ9L1Z6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00CQ9L1Z6&linkCode=as2&tag=nin3dscom-20"

For a second I got excited thinking he found some new glitches lol
Myria
Regular Guay

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »

I actually have decrypted save files now!  So we can actually start documenting this if we want...
Myria
Regular Guay

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 08:56:55 AM »

Here is my current spreadsheet documenting the format of the individual three save files (save_0.bin, save_1, save_2.bin) after they're decrypted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18NByL9tgEw7TDYmd5hSnWnxMu1N5gacuQwRzmeCa3Tk/edit?usp=sharing

Yellow = unsure but is my current guess as to its meaning based on clues.
Red = unknown, but usually have some other context.

I need to get a Dropbox or MEGA account so I can post my save files online so you can take a look if you want.

I still don't have a way to modify the save files, though.  It's really tedious to do this, because I have to do exactly one tiny thing in the game, copy the save to another slot, load the copy, and repeat, until all three files are filled.  Then I have to turn off my 3DS, put the SD card into my PC, copy the save file off, decrypt it, analyze the saves, and put the SD card back.  Because you have to turn off the 3DS in order to safely remove the SD card, that removes the Gateway hack from RAM, meaning I have to re-exploit it.  I then load the game and have to delete save slots 1 and 2, copy slot 3 to 1, and finally delete slot 3.  Then I can load the game and make one change to slot 1 and start this process over.

It's really, really slow-going.  I just got access to the second room of the graveyard passageway to Sanctuary, to give you an idea.  I'm not playing with glitches this time, because I wanted to compare the event flags and see what the differences were between Power Glove Skip and normal play.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: