ZSR Forums
March 28, 2024, 06:27:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57
  Print  
Author Topic: Tricks/Glitches/Timesavers topic  (Read 616341 times)
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« on: November 24, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »

Skull woods boss skip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqUjDfuRoSY

Portal clipping http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H1VPB40jyY (so far useless but needs testing)

Merge glitch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR67AQK0Jhc

House of gales tricks http://www.twitch.tv/irule782/c/3294168 and http://www.twitch.tv/irule782/c/3294174

I haven't finished the game yet, I just wanna post somewhere that if you get the Stamina Scroll from the Ice Ruins, you can skip some of the puzzles leading up to the desert temple. You're supposed to travel between Hyrule and Lorule a couple times and use the Sand Rod to navigate the desert, but with the increased gauge you can just merge with the wall and skip most of it. Dunno if it would save enough time to warrant going out of the way to get the Stamina Scroll or shuffle dungeons around to make it work.
[Needs video]

In the ore mine, you can skip a bunch of platforms on the way to the bottom.  From the 3rd platform from the entrance, pegasus boots dash off the right side and you can barely reach one of the platforms on the way to the bottom.  From there you can skip another platform by walking off the right side at the right time, then from there just 1 more to the bottom.  I think you might be able to skip the 2nd last platform but I haven;t been able to do it.  [Needs video]

In the swamp palace, you can get the big key as soon as you enter the main room by dashing towards it on one of the corners then just using the tornado rod.  Saves a few seconds to get it now rather than later.  [Needs video]

Post more

I for one think that there are no glitches in OoT. It's just gameshark codes.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 10:26:36 PM »

Some observations:

Ravio won't sell the bow until the cutscene where you observe orbs in the Eastern Palace plays. Dying immediately afterwards takes you straight to him.

Dying appears to give you the option to warp back to Link's house, which might be faster to do to reach Hyrule from Lorule.

Mama Maimai's children don't spawn until you talk to her first.

The Boomerang seems to be completely unnecessary for puzzle solving.

Items become buyable after the first three dungeons. Ice/Fire Rods are 1200 ea, everything else is 800 ea.

Seems like if we could clip into the boss arena somehow for the Desert dungeon, that'd be pretty big.

Desert Palace is where you rescue Irene. While captured there is only a single text box each time the broom is called vs possibly multiple text boxes. However, text is incredibly quick and an optimal route probably wouldn't have all that many teleports.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 02:42:39 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Quote from:  Leigh Rogers
Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Greenalink
Special Guay

DS Dictator

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 10:32:02 PM »

Image 1
Early Lorule Castle seems to be out of the question, if you time the A button correctly, Link won't open the door properly. The animation is similar to opening a locked door without a key.

Image 2
Clipping through a 'south' portal you get to see a blue OoB.

New DS PHAT Capture Device on its way (Sep 2011)!!!
More info:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/3ds_capture_device_214.html

Yes I am a speed runner focused on DS games
Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS
New Super Mario Bros (DS).
Hornlitz
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »

Kakariko Heart Piece Early:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLoTX75lCR8

Absolutely useless clip into a tree:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhWZVigvL2w

The Early Heart Piece could possibly be useful for 100%, but it may just be faster to get the power glove and then get it perhaps when going back to get the Master Sword.

I haven't found anywhere else where you can do anything similar to the Clip into the tree. Interesting that it works here and nowhere else though.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 11:13:23 PM »

Few more things:

You can avoid a short dialog with the Zora on the route to Queen Zora by leaving the board while still merged to the wall.

The Smooth Gem can be bought as soon as the Thief bumps into you (rather than after talking to the Queen first). The cutscene where the Queen bloats up still plays as normal.

Braid
This is art because the music is classical music, and the graphics are done with a pen. The story is something about a woman. I could not understand much of this to be honest, which makes it even more likely to be an art.
Greenalink
Special Guay

DS Dictator

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 11:47:24 PM »

Quick Equip* is unlocked after picking up the Master Sword and then entering Ravio's house.
The Quick Equip tab is unlocked after unlocking Lorule and then entering Ravio's house

* I think Quick Equip does NOT work if you only have one item slot. I need to double check that.

There is a boss key strat in the Ice ruins where falling into the pit right afterwards should spawn Link to Floor 1, as long you were only touching the lift platforms when going down from F1 to B5(?) to get the Boss Key. Video should come tomorrow.

New DS PHAT Capture Device on its way (Sep 2011)!!!
More info:
http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/3ds_capture_device_214.html

Yes I am a speed runner focused on DS games
Notable runs:
Phantom Hourglass
SM64 DS
New Super Mario Bros (DS).
zellpree
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »

You don't need to observe the signs at the eastern palace.  You just need to watch the cutscene where it shows you the two orbs.
zellpree
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 02:00:48 AM »

We also need to plan deathwarps later on in the run carefully, if at all.

If we die, then we lose most items to Ravio.  Would death warping be worth it after you enter Lorule anyway?
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 02:40:25 AM »

We also need to plan deathwarps later on in the run carefully, if at all.

If we die, then we lose most items to Ravio.  Would death warping be worth it after you enter Lorule anyway?
I can't see deathwarping ever saving time after getting the bow.  ravio + the fact you get fast travel really early on.

RBA stands for Rare Bird Adventure. We call it that because we need to get the blue cucco in order to use it.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 02:41:28 AM »

Rental prices:

010 Bow?
020 Tornado Rod, Hammer
050 Bombs, Sand Rod?, Boomerang, Hookshot
100 Ice Rod, Fire Rod

That ends up being 450 to rent everything, 400 if the boomerang is skipped.

Buy prices
0800 7 items
1200 Ice Rod, Fire Rod

For 100%, it costs at minimum 7440 or 7640 rupees to buy every item. All items summed up come out to be 8k for everything, but there is a 50% discount on the first item that saves 400 or 600 depending on which item you buy first. The 40 comes from the fact that the Tornado Rod and Hammer have to be rented to unlock the option to buy items (by completing the dungeons that require these items).

You don't need to observe the signs at the eastern palace.  You just need to watch the cutscene where it shows you the two orbs.

This is what I meant. I've fixed my post to be more clear.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 06:05:35 AM by mzxrules » Logged

Braid
zellpree
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 02:57:18 AM »

I don't see us getting the boomerang in the speedrun, I never even used it casually.

When in the route do we buy Bombs, Hookshot, Ice Rod, Sand Rod, and Fire Rod?

I know to get the Sand Rod, it's some trigger event, but I forgot what the trigger is >.>
ZFG
Mega Guay

also pheenoh <3

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 05:34:24 AM »

I think a boss skip might also be possible with the swamp palace boss.  I couldn't get it myself, but the exit is right behind the wall just like skull woods. 

In the hookshot section of lorule castle, you can skip the first puzzle by using the ice rod to create platforms and use that to bring the first eye to the hole.

For the eyes in skull woods and lorule castle, it definitely seems faster to continuously throw them and pick them up rather than just carrying them the whole way.

I also found a way to get a key early in skull woods in the room where you go in the platform with a cage ceiling by dashing off the first platform towards the chest.  Unfortunately it seems useless since you would still need to wait for the platform to come back.

For the electric jellyfish things (mainly the big miniboss ones) using the hookshot on them where they're electrified makes them go back to normal.  (cant remember if this was the case in lttp too so sorry if this is obvious)

Probably obvious but you can skip a key in swamp palace by using the same door to get to the water changing room on the top floor.  The key you should skip should probably be the one in the other water raising room where you need to raise the water to the highest.

As for boomerang, I definitely agree with skipping it.  I just finished my 2nd playthrough which I used for routing and I didn't find any places boomerang saves time.

Does anyone have a good strat for the first phase of the final boss besides just hit and run?  It feels really slow and even with blue mail + 12 hearts I died a few times. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:38:38 AM by ZFG » Logged

Ovenn
Deku Scrub

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 06:38:44 AM »

I was screwing around with Hornlitz's Absolutely Useless Tree Clip and found that there is a way to position yourself differently in the tree, and also to get into the tree on the other side.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMdRJgIKe-0

It's still absolutely useless.
mzxrules
Admin
Ultimate Mega Guay

Wrong warp expert

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »

Sand Rod Softlock http://youtu.be/NelBVWRdfaU

Braid
quo
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 03:19:39 PM »

http://youtu.be/A4H8hqCF7-c

So OoT has been out for 15 years and nintendo still hasn't fixed this... Could be useful if we can clip through walls in multi level rooms

* I think Quick Equip does NOT work if you only have one item slot. I need to double check that.

Quick Equip still works with only 1 slot
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 57
  Print  

Jump to: