ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 12:26:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VC Control Stick Mapping  (Read 149525 times)
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2014, 10:05:46 PM »

I use the n-rage plugin.
backwalking is a little tricky if the deadzone is lower than 5%, but you can get used to the rest within minutes.
except for keeping ess position, lol.
btw, checked on oot - can't backwalk straight with 0% deadzone, which is just as it is on VC in there.
to get the same feeling on emu like I do on n64 with the pad, I need a deadzone of 2%

on 2% it's still not possible to backwalk straight in MM, so basically same issues (okay, ESS is a little easier, lol)

oh uhm, my stick range is set to 100 x)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:32:24 PM by thiefbug » Logged
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #166 on: July 14, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »

I use the n-rage plugin.
backwalking is a little tricky if the deadzone is lower than 5%, but you can get used to the rest within minutes.
except for keeping ess position, lol.
btw, checked on oot - can't backwalk straight with 0% deadzone, which is just as it is on VC in there.
to get the same feeling on emu like I do on n64 with the pad, I need a deadzone of 2%

on 2% it's still not possible to backwalk straight in MM, so basically same issues (okay, ESS is a little easier, lol)

oh uhm, my stick range is set to 100 x)
I think if you calibrate your joystick in windows it might also function for 0% deadzone. It does for me at least.

I'm giving the improved mapping I got a few weeks back a try now with the gc to gc adapter. Right now I multiply the x and y values of the joystick by 0.75, because the joystick of a GC controller has a higher range than that from an N64 controller (about 100 vs 75, I think). With the N64 version I can just read straight from the table.

Aiming is really good. Backwalking works fine, but you don't have a lot of margin. ESS is not hard, but angle changing is imo, but I haven't practiced it at all and I'm used to OoT anyways. Turning straight seems also hard, but that's also the case on N64.

I'm having a Zelda marathon with a friend starting tomorrow. Then I'll also play MM so I can test it more.
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #167 on: July 14, 2014, 05:32:52 PM »

so you're using a range of 75%?
0% deadzone and 100% range felt a little too sensitive, imo.

but if I understood that correctly, you're setting the deadzone to 0 and then multiplay the current x and y value by 0.75
sounds pretty good to me, if thats the case
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #168 on: July 14, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »

so you're using a range of 75%?
0% deadzone and 100% range felt a little too sensitive, imo.
Yeah it should be 75%. Allthough I don't think it is completely accurate to console, because it feels a little different. It is close though.

but if I understood that correctly, you're setting the deadzone to 0 and then multiplay the current x and y value by 0.75
sounds pretty good to me, if thats the case
Yes, I have a mapping table for the N64 to GC adapter to give an N64 controller controls like on N64. But if you use that table directly with the GC controller, then you get that the control stick is very sensitive, because the range of a GC joystick is bigger. So I decrease the range by multiplying it with 0.75. I'm pretty sure the Raphnet GC to N64 adapter does this as well.
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #169 on: July 14, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »

that sounds amazing Cheesy
can't wait to get my hands on it ^_^
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #170 on: July 22, 2014, 06:02:39 PM »

Ok, I tested the improved GC to GC adapter during the marathon. It feels pretty good, aiming is amazing. ESS is a bit hard, but that is probably mostly because the region for it a lot smaller than for OoT and it's also harder to keep your joystick in a fixed position on a GC controller. Backwalking wasn't a problem, it worked really well.

I played through MM and did an old any% route (pretty much the one Runnerguy used at AGDQ). In Snowhead I didn't need the scarecrow song, I could easily aim for the torch. The BK skip for Great Bay Temple was one of the tricks I noticed I had some trouble with. I was playing on the US version and Link doesn't turn around after equiping Zora mask, so I had to do that myself. Unfortunately turning straight is quite hard. I had trouble with that trick anyways, because of the big number of succesive inputs and the small time frame, so I was forced to pause buffer it partly. I think I'll give this trick another try soon. Maybe a shield turn will be enough to do it consistently. I don't think turning completely straight is required.

So yeah, basically the control problems for the original N64 version are back: turning straight is hard. I guess this is a good time for you to give it a try, Thiefbug, so we can see how the increased difficulty of turning affects speedrunning. I'm out of some parts at the moment unfortunately, so it will take some time before I can get you one. In the meantime I'll also give all my GC controllers a try with it, to see if backwalking and other things are correct.
Zargaroc
Regular Guay

« Reply #171 on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:55 PM »

is the GC to GC adapter works on PJ64?
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #172 on: July 22, 2014, 07:10:10 PM »

I'll gladly give it a try Cheesy
if you want, you can send me a PM with your paypal email and the price and I'll send the money to you and my adress afterwards.

Can't wait ^_^
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #173 on: July 24, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »

I'll gladly give it a try Cheesy
if you want, you can send me a PM with your paypal email and the price and I'll send the money to you and my adress afterwards.

Can't wait ^_^
Unfortunately I don't have all parts as I already said. I hope I get them quickly. Maybe I can sacrifice one of my own adapters. I'll PM you when I have something to sell.

is the GC to GC adapter works on PJ64?
It's an adapter you put between your Wii and your controller (either N64 or GC controller) to get rid of deadzone in some of the more popular VC games.
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #174 on: July 24, 2014, 07:49:17 PM »

I'm at ESA the next two weeks anyways, so no need to hurry.
it's done when it's done ^^
skyyye
Deku Scrub

« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »

Finally, with a GameCube disc on the Wii, I can do the shooting gallery in a reasonable amount of time in 100% runs!  (I beat the adult version in OoT twice in about 5 minutes, versus taking something like 90 minutes without the control stick corrections.)

Thanks, whyieyesya!!

(By the way, rumble does not work for me with the adapter.  No big deal at all, but just curious is there a configuration that would allow it to still work.)
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2014, 05:56:12 PM »

Finally, with a GameCube disc on the Wii, I can do the shooting gallery in a reasonable amount of time in 100% runs!  (I beat the adult version in OoT twice in about 5 minutes, versus taking something like 90 minutes without the control stick corrections.)

Thanks, whyieyesya!!

(By the way, rumble does not work for me with the adapter.  No big deal at all, but just curious is there a configuration that would allow it to still work.)
Just curious, are you using the correct mapping? There is a special mapping for the GC Zeldas. I don't think a lot of people are aware of that/care about it.

I don't do anything with rumble. I forgot the GC versions have it. Actually I wanted to use the rumble feature, so you would be able to notice that the mapping has changed by activating it for a few seconds. Unfortunately some adapters would stop working as soon as rumble started. Maybe that's because too much power is asked from the Wii (probably not) or the rumble interferes with the adapter in some way. It would have been nice to have, but I decided not to bother anymore. Now that you remind me of the GC Zeldas having rumble I might have another look at it some day, but more for the heck of it.
skyyye
Deku Scrub

« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »

Just curious, are you using the correct mapping? There is a special mapping for the GC Zeldas. I don't think a lot of people are aware of that/care about it.

I don't do anything with rumble. I forgot the GC versions have it. Actually I wanted to use the rumble feature, so you would be able to notice that the mapping has changed by activating it for a few seconds. Unfortunately some adapters would stop working as soon as rumble started. Maybe that's because too much power is asked from the Wii (probably not) or the rumble interferes with the adapter in some way. It would have been nice to have, but I decided not to bother anymore. Now that you remind me of the GC Zeldas having rumble I might have another look at it some day, but more for the heck of it.

I believe I have the correct mapping.  First I used D-Right, which worked well except there was no response to L and R.  Then I used L + D-Up, and with that all the buttons/sticks worked.  Rumble did not work in either case.  I'd be curious if you figure out what happened with it, but, yeah, definitely not a big deal.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2014, 07:08:16 PM »

I believe I have the correct mapping.  First I used D-Right, which worked well except there was no response to L and R.  Then I used L + D-Up, and with that all the buttons/sticks worked.  Rumble did not work in either case.  I'd be curious if you figure out what happened with it, but, yeah, definitely not a big deal.
You did it correctly. If I ever fix the rumble function it would require a firmware update.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #179 on: August 10, 2014, 04:12:51 PM »

I am gone for about two weeks. After that I can take orders again (I have enough parts). Classic Controller to GC is also an option now.

Thiefbug, when I am back, then maybe I can get you a GC to GC converter to test MM?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: