ZSR Forums
March 29, 2024, 10:02:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ZSR Forums are back - read only!

Home   Help Search Members Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VC Control Stick Mapping  (Read 149637 times)
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #150 on: May 04, 2014, 11:19:18 PM »

making ESS harder is not a problem if we can switch, lol.
it's basically about the aiming. but if we can switch the settings for ESS and non ESS, it would be perfect Cheesy
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2014, 02:52:23 AM »

Yes, N64 MM has some serious issues with the control stick. The problem is most egregious if you have an old, worn-out N64 stick - if you have a newer stick, it's not as bad. You basically have a choice between messed up directions (N64) and bad ESS/aiming (VC). It kind of sucks.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #152 on: May 28, 2014, 08:29:54 PM »

Yes, N64 MM has some serious issues with the control stick. The problem is most egregious if you have an old, worn-out N64 stick - if you have a newer stick, it's not as bad. You basically have a choice between messed up directions (N64) and bad ESS/aiming (VC). It kind of sucks.
Thanks for the input. This kind of sucks. If MM had ESS like OoT then it wouldn't really be a problem to add extra deadzone. I still have to try adding extra deadzone. Maybe you only need a tiny bit of extra deadzone, to make turning and walking straight better. 

Another option I'm thinking about is making the deadzone only bigger for positions where you have the stick fully tilted (if you press forward, then there's a bigger deadzone to left and right for instance). That should fix the walking straight issue and it should also fix shield turning. Only thing it wouldn't fix is ESS turning.  Embarrassed

Making it possible to toggle the deadzone during gameplay would be a solution, but I think that might be a bit unfair.

I'm pretty busy at the moment. I'm gonna try my best to work on this and hopefully finish this stuff for good.  Tongue
ING-X
Site Editor
Mega Guay

fuck you and the horse you rode in on

562243965 marikthechao@hotmail.com ingx24
« Reply #153 on: May 29, 2014, 03:44:14 AM »

I don't really like the idea of "fixing" the n64 controls on VC so that walking straight forward is easier. It seems like it's creating an artificial control mapping that doesn't correspond to anything actually existent - kind of like if you were to enlarge the ESS range to be bigger than on N64.

<complex> byan you're doing that thing again
<complex> the thing where everything you say is fucking retarded

<ethandude> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexual cheak this out luxury it might come in helpful when u wright your resime
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #154 on: June 07, 2014, 09:07:53 PM »

if the n64 deadzone is like putting it to 0% on PJ64, I'd be fine with it... tested it a little recently and like it much better... back walking and such is not as much of a problem as I thought it would be
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:20:16 AM by thiefbug » Logged
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »

I don't really like the idea of "fixing" the n64 controls on VC so that walking straight forward is easier. It seems like it's creating an artificial control mapping that doesn't correspond to anything actually existent - kind of like if you were to enlarge the ESS range to be bigger than on N64.
Yeah I agree on that. If I were to do it, I'd most likely do it for the GC adapter.
if the n64 deadzone is like putting it to 0% on PJ64, I'd be fine with it... tested it a little recently and like it much better... back walking and such is not as much of a dead as I thought it would be
I am going to compare this. Did you try it with an N64 or GC controller?
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »

GC pad only, I don't have a N64 to USB adapter.
I noticed some slight difference when it comes to movement, but it's not a big deal as long as you're not on low health
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #157 on: June 23, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »

Start of next week I'm done with all my exams. Then I'll have time to pick things up again (test MM on emu, I need to install Windows for that). I'll then also finish all the adapters for people that asked for one. Sorry for the delay.
skyyye
Deku Scrub

« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:42 PM »

Start of next week I'm done with all my exams. Then I'll have time to pick things up again (test MM on emu, I need to install Windows for that). I'll then also finish all the adapters for people that asked for one. Sorry for the delay.

Great, looking forward to it.  And good luck with exams!
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2014, 11:14:46 AM »

got my gc to n64 adapter now and oh my god, this is godlike for oot.
I know that I'll have to get used to stuff like turning by 90° again and such, but for the aiming and the angle change during ESS, it's worth it x)

reeeally looking forward to it Cheesy
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:25 PM »

Can you try MM with it? My GC to GC adapter handles OoT differently, so it probably feels a bit different from N64 with GC to N64 adapter. I made the ESS region bigger and I also give it a tiny bit more deadzone, because I thought it was pretty sensitive. Unfortunately these tricks are more complicated for MM, because aiming deadzone and ESS deadzone are different, so if I make ESS region bigger, I'll screw up the aiming and vice versa. :p

I'm really close to finishing the adapters for the people that wanted one. I have some deadlines for school projects that turned out to be more work than I thought. Anyways, I'll have the adapters finished within a few days. After that I'm also going to work on MM again.
thiefbug
Regular Guay

Email
« Reply #161 on: July 06, 2014, 03:56:44 PM »

I'd really like to test that for MM, but I don't have a MM cart :/
SilentKnight115
Deku Scrub

Starlight Adventurer

« Reply #162 on: July 06, 2014, 06:45:05 PM »

Thief I would send you one if you promise to send it back signed when you're done with it. ~Kappa.

Looking forward to starting with the adapter whyeye!

They speak of thunder, I prefer the quiet.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #163 on: July 06, 2014, 08:56:27 PM »

I'd really like to test that for MM, but I don't have a MM cart :/
I'll test it on emulator then.
whyieyesya
Special Guay

Email
« Reply #164 on: July 08, 2014, 05:52:31 PM »

Thiefbug, what value do you use for the analog stick range on emulator? I assume you use Project64 with the N-Rage input plugin? Otherwise, that setting may not make any sense to you. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: